Sunday, May 1, 2016

Nail Your Internship Interview


Hey guys! 

So back in early March I went in for my interview for an internship! Let me first just say that it was the most nerve wrecking, puke evoking experience of life! This particular internship is for the NYC DOE for School Psychology. There are only 22 positions and over 60 students applied. Anyway, I got it the internship! I prepared prepared prepared for it...and this is what inspired todays post! 

Interviews can be an anxiety provoking experience. My interview was...let me just say more like an interrogation, rather than an interview, however I pushed through and shined! So here are my top tips to help you get that internship. 

Breathe: Okay this sounds like something you would already know, but it is something you might forget to do. What I mean is to go in there calm. Take a deep breath and let it out. You don't want to let your nerves get the best of you, so I suggest taking some breathes before going into the interview and during the interview as well. 

Think before you answer: Okay that's another one that I bet some of you may say "duh!" However, sometimes when you are nervous, you word vomit and that is not a good thing. Whenever they ask you a question, think about your answer before blurting something out. Trust me, I know! I was asked a question regarding bullying and instead of saying that Bullying is a hot topic now in the field of education, I said it was the new fad. Like really? I used the word "fad"-hence word vomit! It is okay to say "that is a very interesting question, let me take a moment to gather my thoughts about it." That was the next strategy I used after sed word vomit! 

Smile: Yes smile girl smile! Show those pearly whites! You want to be personable. Although you may be nervous, you want to show that you have good interpersonal skills. Smile and look attentive to the questions.

Repeat the question when answering: So what I mean by that is if they ask you a question, word the question in your answer. Example: What would you do if your supervisor asked you to do something unethical? Ans:"If my supervisor asked me to do something unethical I would..." Rewording and reframing your answer shows that you are attentive to the question.

Eye Contact: Yes give eye contact! No matter how intimated you may feel, give them eye contact. It shows that you are confident. No one wants to hire someone that doesn't look people in the eye. 

Confidence: Not cockiness! Go in there like you already have the position! In your mind, think of the interview as a conversation with people you will be working with. If you go in there like you got it, they will see how confident you are. Remember there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness though! 

Ask a question: ALWAYS have a question at the end when they ask you if you have any questions. The best way to do that is to research wherever you are applying to. Check there website out, brochures, ect. From there you can pull out some questions that interest you. "I noticed on your website there is information regarding..."

Dress the part: Attire is key! Dress professional, not like your hanging out with friends. You always want to make a good impression

Remember that it is normal to be nervous, but if your positive, confident, and you breathe, you will be able to go in there and nail it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment